Cardboard boxes are traditional for storing items when you move, but it doesn`t mean they are the only good option. Actually, there are plenty of alternatives, cheap and easy to find around you.
Use storage boxes made from other materials
There are storage boxes made from plastic or metal and they are great to store different kind of objects during their transportation to a new location. Some of them even have wheels, which makes them portable and easier to move around.
Some of these sacks are very thick and come in various sizes. They are ideal for transporting clothes, towels, bedding etc.
You do not have to bother taking the things out of the drawers. Just leave them where they are and secure them in place.
Suitcases, bags, rucksacks, carrier bags and anything similar things you have at home are also great to store things during your home move.
Your washing machine tank
You can sneak in many non-breakable items.
If you are preoccupied on eco-friendly packing materials, here are some ideas:
- Use blankets, towels, clothing and bedding for filling gaps and to prevent other items from moving inside the storage boxes. You can also use them as alternatives to bubble wrap.
- Use pillows and cushions to protect fragile items. Alternatively, you can use packets of rice or pasta, for the same reasons. Find more tips from a local Arvada moving company today.
We know moving from one home to another is not the most enjoyable experience. Hundreds of objects suddenly seem meaningless, boxes filled with all kind of things, stress related to transportation arrangements and costs, etc. If it is planned in time, however, the process can become significantly smoother. We propose you to approach it from a new perspective: be enthusiastic about the new place and the possibility to rearrange the objects into a new functional scheme; see the relocation as a new start and take the opportunity to simplify your life by giving up all unnecessary things.
Here is a list for staying organized while packing for your move.
- Two months before the move:
Decide which contracts you have to conclude for your new home
Decide if you are going to hire a professional relocation company
You can start having fun sorting some things out.
Purchase shipping boxes and start storing things by category. Do not forget to use labels on each box, to know what is inside.
- 3-4 weeks before the move:
Pack the things you do not use frequently: clothes, jewelry, cosmetics, papers etc.
Continue sorting things and, if you move home appliances, make sure they are clean and functional.
Confirm your arrangements with the moving company
- The days before the move:
Make sure that every family member (if any) packs a hand bag with essential things, as if they were on a 2-week vacation. Create your own hand bag with necessary things, documents, cards etc.
For moving help, contact the professionals here http://yourpersonalmover.net.
When you move, you need a lot of organization so you do not lose objects or your temper. Here is what your to-do list should include to be really helpful.
Two months ahead:
- Sort your stuff and throw what you know you will not take with you
- Ask around about professional relocation companies in your area and find more about their services
6 weeks ahead:
- Get things that will help you move: boxes, bags, duct tape, markers, labels, special containers etc.
One month ahead:
- Choose from the recommended moving companies in Wheat Ridge that will help you move and make all the arrangements
- Pack things that you will not going to use until you move
- Labels each storage box to know what is inside and find things easily when you unpack
- Put valuable things like money or jewels in a safe box that you will carry personally to your new home. Eventually, get insurance for the very valuable items.
- Make formal arrangements for the address change
A week ahead:
- Make sure you can take a couple of free days from work
- Confirm the arrangements made with those who will help you move
- Make your personal luggage
The day before:
- Check once again all the details you’ve arranged with those who will help you move: your address, directions to reach your destination, contact information etc.
- Clean the location you are about to leave
Summer is a good season for moving, because between so many other things you must do in the process, you will not have to worry about protecting your belongings from cold weather too, or about transporting them on slippery roads. Besides, it is obviously easier and more comfortable to pack and unpack dressed in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, instead of wearing a ton of clothes.
Getting ready for your summer move means to make a plan about every step of the process and identify the resources necessary to go through everything. The most convenient solution is to start looking for professional Arvada moving companies relocation services.
Hiring one of these companies specialized in helping people to move brings a lot of benefits:
- You get help in loading/ unloading furniture and other objects, regardless their size
- Separate packing of fragile objects
- Transportation of furniture and other common items in the new location
- Some companies also offer installation of the furniture in the new apartment and help with unpacking things.
On the other hand, if you prefer to deal with the moving process on your own, make sure you start early in order to find the best packaging materials and sort your things by category, to be easier to transport and then unpack.
Moving is not the end of the world, although it may seem so. It’s just stressful and exhausting, but if you plan carefully every step of the way and avoid doing everything in the last minute, the process will be much easier and you’ll feel more in control.
Walnut? Does rubbing walnuts actually cover light scratches on wood surfaces? Sources say yes. The light brown hue of a walnut and the oils from the nut are suggested as a quick fix for surface-level scratches on wooden cabinets, tables, and other furniture. For the skeptics, here are other ways to cure your wooden furnishings from scratches.
There are two widely prescribed options to repair scratches on wood furniture: a touch up marker, or sealer.
Very shallow scratches may just need to be smoothed and finished with furniture oil. If this does not get rid of the scratch, try using a touch up marker. The marker should match the color of the wood or stain, of course. Wipe residue left over from the marker. You may have to add a fresh top coat a few time in order to completely blend the scratch.
For deeper scratches use a polyurethane sealer. You will need sand paper to first smooth the area surrounding the scratch. Clean the area of wood dust or debris. Fill the scratch with a wood sealer using a putty knife, or similar tool. After allowing the sealer to dry completely, which could take longer than an hour, sand the area again so there is little difference between the look and texture of the sealer and the furniture. Before painting stain over the scratch, test the stain on wood and wait for it to dry to see how close the new stain matches the old. If you do not have any surface to test the stain on, consider testing it on the inside or underside surface of the piece. Then, after sanding the scratch smooth, apply stain to match the rest of the furniture. Clean the area with a towel to make sure there is no drip.
It is inevitable, scratches will appear. These are two quick and easy ways to keep your furniture looking new, like the day you brought it home.