PODS, ABF U-Pack and Pack Rat
If one were to add up all the decisions required to make for a move, how many would that be? Hundreds? Maybe even one-thousand, depending on the distance? Many questions people ask themselves when planning a move involve the cost of moving. Nobody wants to pay more than what is necessary to get their belongings to their new address in one piece. Nobody likes to be surprised with extra fees, and no matter how many hours are spent planning, extra costs appear nevertheless.
Depending on the distance of the move, some of these costs may not be explicitly acknowledged upfront: truck rental fee, additional truck mileage charge, gas charge, insurance for the truck rental, time spent driving, towing a car, storage, and tolls. PODS.com calculated the mileage and fuel costs based on October 2016 gas prices, estimating an average of $0.70 – $1.50 per mile in mileage charge and an average of $0.89 to the gallon in fuel charge. When all is said and done, PODS, ABF U-Pack, or 1-800-PACK-RAT portable moving and storage container services may be a cheaper way to move, and pricing is not the only benefit of these services.
PODS containers start at a price of $110 per month for a 12’ container stored on the mover’s property and $120 per month for a 16’ container. There are no additional truck or gas charges, no late fees for extended time loading and unloading, and users rent PODS on a per month basis, so hidden daily fees are non-existent.
Costs for using PODS, ABF U-Pack trailers, and 1-800-PACK-RAT will vary, depending on location and availability of containers, but all three companies offer other, similar, benefits as well:
- Storage containers are dropped off to the household which is being packed and moved. The same containers will be picked up by the company to move when ready.
- Containers can be packed based on the flexibility of those moving. This means moving is self-paced, eliminates stress making multiple trips to the local storage facility, and moving is a one-time occasion.
- Containers are sturdy and weather resistant.
- There is less chance of damaged items, because the containers are only handle once during the move.
- It is recommended to hire a moving company so belongings arrive at the final destination undamaged.
- Containers, once packed, may be stored on property or at the company’s storage center. If items must be extracted from the container before unloading, it is most convenient to store on property.
- Multiple size options are available, ranging from 7’, to 12’, to 16’ containers.
- Driving is not a burden. The container company does all the driving.
- PODS sit flat on the ground, so heavy furniture is easier to lift into the container. Keep in mind, this may not always be the case with other companies.
If you are unsure if portable moving and storage containers seem to be the best way to get a moving job done at the lowest cost, then ask Your Personal Mover if they think it’s best for you. Your Personal Mover can also assist with the loading and unloading of these containers, taking the strain out of your move. In 2015, 98 percent of PODS customers moved claim-free. So, why not try it?