Packing up to move and to start a new life in a new home is an exciting process. Here are some tips to make it as easy as possible:
- Declutter – moving items that are broken or that you have not used in a long time is useless. Packing is a great opportunity for getting rid of any items that hold you back and take up precious space – you can even sell the items that are still functional and use the money to offset your moving costs;
- Take your time – don’t try to pack everything during the night before the move. Start a couple of weeks before the planned date, with the items that you don’t use every day, then work your way through your rooms, so that by the last day all you have to pack are the belongings that you need for your first day at the new place;
- Get the right type of supplies – you will need boxes of various sizes, plastic bags, string, tape, scissors and lots of wrapping paper. If you are planning to label your boxes and bags, get labels of different color to mark the items that go in the different rooms on your new home. Make sure to schedule time with one of the local moving companies Arvada has to ease the load.
Moving to a new home can be a happy but also a busy and stressful time, when you have to make many decisions. Until you get settled in your new home and have your first coffee in peace, you have an almost endless list of things you need to do, besides packing, transporting, unpacking and organizing everything you bring with you to the new location.
Here is how you can stay organized while packing for a move.
- Start early (at least 1 week in advance) and plan so that you avoid packing in a hurry.
- Make a list of the items you want to take with you and get rid of the others for which you do not want to pay to be transported. We all have things that lay forgotten in a corner of the attic, garage or a room. If you have not used an object for so long, you will definitely not use it in your new home, so get rid of it before you start packing what is really necessary.
- Try to sell at least some of the old furniture, or donate it. Unless you have no other option, you are probably not so eager to have old things in your new home, so you would better try getting some money back on that old furniture and use it to purchase something new.
- Organizes packing by category and uses labels.
All of this organization is appreciated by the Arvada moving company who moves you. It helps them to know which room to place boxes for unpacking and makes the move much quicker, rather than waiting for someone to tell them.
Planning ahead for your move is definitely good because it keeps you organized and ready to face this daunting process. These are just a few guidelines.
Make a plan
Before you do anything else, make sure you create a plan, just to make sure everything will go smoothly and you will not be overwhelmed my last minute preparations. It will also help relieve stress and also get through this period without much frustration.
Create a schedule
Moving is complicated and has many steps you need to take. To help you stay organized, it is ideal to create a schedule, with tasks that you must complete and deadlines.
Setting the moving budget
Once you have set the budget for the move, you must also consider how to save some money in the process. This requires some prospective work in order to find the best offers from moving companies, insurers etc.
Sorting things out
Moving is the perfect time to sort all your things and decide what goes with you and what ends up in the bin or as a donation. You must also see what you can do about transporting heavy, bulky or valuable items.
Give yourself time!
Time is not always our friend. Sometimes moving can be unpredictable, forcing you to make changes at the last minute and act fast. Give yourself at least eight weeks to get everything ready. Schedule ahead of time with the moving companies Arvada has to help with the move.
Moving in winter is a process that is completely different from moving in any other season, especially in Colorado, where the winters are completely different from the winters in other geographical regions. Winters are hard in the Centennial State, but if you respect nature’s forces and you act cautiously, it is still possible to move your household without any loss and damage:
- Respect low temperatures – objects behave differently in freezing temperatures, they become more brittle and more fragile. To prevent any unnecessary breaks, use more wrapping paper and bubble wrap, more towels to separate sensitive items and sturdier packing boxes;
- Start organizing and preparing for the move early – things are slower in winter and you might encounter difficulties finding the right movers, too, so start looking for an Arvada moving company to hire at least a month before the planned date of month before the planned date of our move;
- Be flexible – be prepared that the weather will have the last word about when and how you can move. If there is a snowstorm in the forecast, you might need to put up with that and postpone your move and the trip to your new destination might also take longer than in fair weather.
The most important thing when you move is to plan and organize everything in time including the movers Arvada has for hire. Therefore, for a successful home relocation, follow the steps below:
Contact a moving company, choose the services you need and schedule your move
Evaluate the different provided services and decide which ones are helpful for you and which ones you can afford. Always ask for price estimation before making your choice. Contact the moving company again, a couple of days before your move, and discuss the last details.
Start packing early
Start packing personal items at least a week before your moving date. For better organization and easier access, pack each room separately and put labels on every box.
Dismantle bulky furniture
Beds, cabinets, wardrobes – these large furniture pieces must be dismantled, otherwise there may not be possible to move them.
Prepare the large house appliances for being moved
Defrost your refrigerator the day before you move. Do not do this on the moving day, because it will leak all over your other belongings, during transportation. Also, contact an installer to cut off the washing machine from the water system, as well as the stove from the gas network.
Moving is not an easy process and sometimes people need a short term storage option, when there is some time between moving dates. Keeping all your belongings in a safe environment until you can bring them into your new home is very important
Short term storage is typically provided for less than three months. It is influenced by the type of transition that you are making as well as the things you need to store in your unit. There are companies providing short term storage renting options and, when you decide to contact one, you will have to consider a few aspects.
First, try to determine how much space you need. Storage companies have facilities with different unit sizes and there is no need to pay for a too large unit. Take into account not just the overall amount of your belongings, but also the size and shape of the boxes and the way you plan to store them. The storage facility will help you identify the right size unit if you provide them relevant information.
The storage location also matters, because you probably prefer to have your things as close as possible. Also, make sure that you are allowed to access them anytime you need. It’s also helps when you hire Your Personal Mover of Arvada to move your items from storage to your new home.
Finally yet importantly, make sure the unit amenities will keep your things protected from all kind of damage, including fragile things and electronics.
If you are currently preparing for relocating to your new home, you probably have small as well as bulky items to pack. While small objects can easily go into boxes or containers that protect them against damage, bulky items, such as household appliances and furnishing items are much more difficult to pack. Here are some tips to make packing large things easier:
- Use foil and bubble-wrap – very large items cannot be packed into boxes and bags, so the only thing that you can do is to protect them with some sort of flexible packaging solution;
- Remove drawers and shelves – empty the furnishing items that have interior storage components, such as shelves and drawers and pack these components separately for making it easier to move the large items;
- Take apart whatever you can – disassemble all the bulky items that can be disassembled. That way, you will have multiple, smaller items, rather than one huge object that is difficult to move. Don’t forget that you will have to re-assemble the items after you arrive at your new location, so take pictures of your items when they are still assembled and document every stage of the disassembly as well, that way you will be able to it all again in reverse order in your new home, with the help of moving companies Arvada has to offer.
The whole process of moving to the new house may be more demanding than you think. Here are some useful recommendations for moving easily and quickly, without forgetting to pack anything.
- Sort things out and eliminate what is useless
Moving is a perfect opportunity to do a general cleaning and to get rid of objects you no longer use. Instead of taking with you all the things you have, assign a day to donate or dispose old items that you will no longer need in your new home.
- Start packing early
Even if you think it won’t take you long to pack everything and be ready to move, this process may actually take you days. Therefore, do not leave anything for the last moment, but start to pack your things and put them in boxes at least one week before the day of the move.
- Pack your things strategically
It can be tempting to pack everything as quickly as possible, placing the items in boxes randomly, with no regard to any criteria. However, saving time like this on packing typically means that unpacking will take you a very long time.
The ideal method is to sort the objects on categories and place them in dedicated boxes (use labels!). For example, you can have a special box for the kitchen items (cutlery, dishes, small appliances). As such, when you unpack, you will know exactly the location of each object and be able to arrange everything much faster. Using this process also helps the Arvada moving company workers know what room to place them in at your new home.
Moving plants to a new home can be somewhat tricky. Because plants need constant light and water to survive, keeping them in one place without anyone being able to access them can be a huge problem. Also, it’s important to make sure they are not in a place where they can easily be damaged or affected by toxic compounds or chemicals such as various cleaning agents.
The following recommendations should help you keep your plants safe throughout the entire moving process:
- Make sure you don’t just stuff your plants in a box. That’s one of the worst things you can do. Instead, allow them some open space and access to light, and make sure that they are not too crowded by your other belongings, whether you put them on the moving van or drive them to the new house yourself. It is best for you to move your plants rather than the Arvada moving company, not that they don’t move plants, it’s just better for you to move them.
- Avoid placing your plants in areas where they can be exposed to various chemicals. Also, unless you have a grow tent at hand, avoid putting them in storage.
- Make sure you are still able to water your plants regularly. For example, don’t put them in storage for long without visiting them, and make sure that you don’t transport them to your new home before you or someone else gets a chance to be close enough to at least visit the place regularly – even if you’re staying somewhere else while the renovation work is being completed.
Moving house isn’t easy, especially if you have a lot of things to be stressed about. The main issue, however, is safety. When you plan on moving large furniture items and appliances on your own or just with the help of a friend, then you have to consider how to stay safe and use all the precautions at your disposal to avoid exhaustion and injury:
- Drink plenty of liquids prior to the move, especially if it’s hot outside and you plan to be doing it for more than an hour or two. Also, make sure you take regular breaks instead of trying to complete the whole thing in one go. If you feel that you can’t complete the move on your own, call Arvada moving companies with a local team to help you out.
- Never try to lift more than your doctor would recommend. Having a medical checkup before the move just for the purpose of asking your doctor about it is definitely a good idea, especially if you’re not as young as you used to be.
- Secure larger appliances and furniture items and make sure you can grab hold of them properly before you try to move them – especially on stairways or on slippery floors. You want to make sure you can avoid an accident at all costs.